Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy 403rd Birthday, Kappelmeister!



The Master turns 403 today, and he is still setting the standard for instrumental and choral virtuosity, driven by one holy passion: Soli Deo Gloria! May his works know many, many more centuries of life and influence.

My thoughts on Bach as playd on piano: In my humble opinion, there was only one pianist who could pull this off-Glenn Gould. As a matter of fact, if Bach is being played on piano, and it's not Glenn Gould, then it's not Bach on piano. PERIOD! It is useless otherwise. Why, it's like trying to have the Benny Goodman Orchestra without Benny Goodman and Gene Krupa, or Led Zeppelin without John Bonham. It's simply not-going-to-happen!

To see what I mean, here's Glenn Gould playing the Bach's Partita NO. 6.

Now listen to the Rostropovich, AKA The Master Cellist, play Bach's Cello Suite No. 1.

2 comments:

Cap said...

Bach looks pretty good to me..he could pass for 401!

P.S. My favorite musical group is the Brady Kids

You'll have to explain my oddities to your loyal readers!

double p.s. Is there some hidden reason why my word verification was 'wusyy'? Is that some comment on my lack of a muscular build?

Benedictus said...

"P.S. My favorite musical group is the Brady Kids"

LOL!!!! Trying to figure out how to arrange one of their tunes (maybe the opening theme) as a Bach fugue!!!

"You'll have to explain my oddities to your loyal readers!"

Vintage Cap:-) Trying to understand the oddities after 23 years, but hey, would it be Cap without them? (For those of you wondering, Cap was a high school classmate of mine [class of '84])

"double p.s. Is there some hidden reason why my word verification was 'wusyy'? Is that some comment on my lack of a muscular build?"

Double LOL!!! I have no control over that whatsoever. Perhaps the good folks at Google spotted a golden moment which they could not let pass up! ;-)